When most people think of Kangaroos, they think of Australia. Me, I think of Jethro Tull. I mean yes, when I think of the actual animal all hopping around with its convenient little built-in tote bag and such I totally picture the ones you'd see in the outback, but when someone says the word "Kangaroo," all I can think of is that part of "A Passion Play" when Ian Anderson goes off on this whole anecdote about "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles." At the beginning of the second part of the song, the guys just sort of take a break from rockin out to tell us all a children's tale about this poor little Hare who starts panicking because he can't find his stupid glasses. Anyway, the reason I associate "Kangaroo" with this madness is because the whole reason Hare starts freaking out in the first place is because a kangaroo runs by this owl at the beginning and starts talking to himself, whispering that "the hare has lost his spectacles." Pretty much from there on the Hare and all his other furry friends in the forrest go ballistic. The best part of this whole thing is that it is told by Anderson, who, in my opinion, has one of the world's most ridiculously silly Scottish accents. The following is an excerpt: "Kangaroo were hopping mad at this sort of talk. She thought herself far superior in intelligence to the others. She was their leader; their guru. She had the answer: 'Hare, you must go in search of the optician.'" (I think what you can figure from this story is that Scottish people's ideas of Kangaroos are that they're intelligent, snobby, schizophrenic, and like to cause trouble. And all Americans' think of is Australia. I'll go with the Scots on this one, they seem like they're out for a good time.)
Needless to say, this story in itself is a piece of brilliance. YouTube it or something. Trust me, it's worth all four minutes and forty three seconds of your precious time. But anyway, back to Jethro Tull. If you don't know who Jethro Tull is, go away, listen to "Thick As A Brick," then come back and tell me that they are not the best thing you've heard all day. Basically they were a British rock band from the 70's and so on. Well, technically, they weren't a rock band, they were a progressive rock band. Progressive rock is a form of rock music that developed in the late 60's in which the artists tried to break the boundaries of what had been previously considered "rock music" and elevate the genre to a whole new level of artistic credibility. Progressive rock artists would use all kinds of weird instruments and things to create new sounds, not unlike what the German experimental electro-pop band, Kraftwerk, does with electro music. Oh hey, we made it to Kraftwerk. Boom.
Nachos to Nietzsche.
I must applaud your courageous effort for using such a delightfully obscure reference as both a connecting vehicle and promotional tool for a terrific album that has unfortunately fallen way off the cultural radar screen. I do worry a bit though that at some point they may come after you with a net...
ReplyDelete